Friday, March 8, 2013

The Dark Side of Research


Assalamualaikum (Peace be upon you),

In February, I was disgusted to know instances of unethical research behavior by those involved in the area of Islamic economics/finance and poverty. I do acknowledge that ethical issues such as plagiarism for instance, are committed not only by students in general, but researchers too, as highlighted in the highly publicized cases of the German Defence and Education ministers. But I feel, it is much more frustrating if it is carried out by 'researchers' who are involved in poverty and ethical finance.

In the field of poverty, it should be painstakingly clear that researchers being stakeholders involved in issues of such a delicate matter, should be especially mindful of their research implications. The poor are already in a dire situation themselves and to play around with research does not bring benefit to anyone, especially the poor, even if the results appear to skew or benefit the poor. The end does not justify the means.

When I heard about it, I struggle to know what could and should be done. Personally, I feel such behaviors should lead to their doctorate degrees being withdrawn, to avoid them undertaking further unethical research behavior.

Here and now, I guess the best I can do is wish/hope/pray that apprentice researchers like me, as well as experienced researchers do not get their priorities distorted, for whatever reason, unable to spot the ethical line that is blurred by one's own intention and resulting action. Although, right and wrong might be clear for me or us now, I am aware that for some of us, myself included, there is always a chance that we become tempted in the future to cross that line. Let's hope that we stay true in our intentions and help remind one another, as I had recently been reminded, that in the Day of Judgement, Allah will judge us for all that we do, whether it is seen or unseen by others.

Peace,
Umar

No comments: