Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Constant


Assalamualaikum (Peace be upon you),

I've been thinking about this particular word lately, 'constant'. In general, it refers to a state that does not change or vary. It remains as is.

I'm approaching a new stage of my life, with my current stage nearly coming to its end. For the past few years within this stage, things have changed both personally and professionally. Good things, bad things, family members pass away while new ones are born. Things change but one thing remains constant: Allah.

I don't pretend to say my level of religiosity is high, but as a Muslim, I aspire to be a good one. There's a piece of paper that I keep to remind myself to be one. It reads:


Ask yourself:
  • What am I doing here?
  • What are my goals and wishes?
  • Where am I heading for?
  • Who are the persons, and what are the things that I love most? Will they remain there forever?
  • Will they leave me, or I will be the one leaving?
  • Am I prepared for such departure after which there will never be a point of return? 
  • Is my Lord pleased with me? 
  • Will He admit me to His beautiful Paradise — where I will dwell in happiness, security, and tranquility for all eternity — or Hell will be my deserved abode?
 
 [Disclaimer: I probably had these questions from a website that is not accessible or exists anymore]


Whenever I read this, I'm reminded that as a Muslim, life in this world is short and of a passing nature. The bigger picture or time horizon is the hereafter, and the one constant that stays the same is Allah or God. In good times, I hope to count my blessings and in bad times, I hope to be forgiven or assisted. Human beings may change, w/ their behaviors and mindsets, and yet Allah does not. It remains to be the constant.

And therefore, when I'm over the moon of a good news, or deeply saddened by a tragedy, I hope that I remember of this particular constant in my life, to keep me grounded, affixed to a faith that I was born into, but gradually begin to believe in more and more. When things change, I believe everyone needs a core or foundation of some sort, and I believe the best of such constant is that of Allah.

My thoughts.


Peace,
Umar

No comments: