Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Story


Assalamualaikum,

Eid Mubarak. I know it's been 1-2 weeks past the first day of Eid but in Brunei, Eid is known to last the whole month. So Eid Mubarak.

I know that's bad timing for a greeting but things have been busy these days (or at least, that's what I usually say). To a certain extent, I've been trying to work more on my writings for the current chapter, as I'm nearly getting to the end of my research program. These write-ups that I'm doing in my research, is like a story, though granted it might actually be boring (I'm just in denial that it isn't boring), with the usual academic terms and what not.

Anyway, after Ramadan, I've been thinking a bit. Things have happened, some are good, others could have been better. But I'm thankful and all that. The bit that I'm thinking about is stories. Stories interest me, whether it's a good book, movie, speech or whatever it may be. The best stories, I believe, are the stories that we make or write for ourselves. In a philosophical/ corny way, the life that we lead are stories in itself, and somewhere along the way, whether we admit it or not, we want some part of our lives to touch someone else, or for it to be useful or beneficial in some way.

My life, like my writings in my blog or chapters of my research, nearly follow the same pattern. I try to write to no one in particular, but I hope in some way, someone reads my story and finds it useful.

One of my favourite lines I am tempted to use, during any given speech that tries to inspire, goes something along the lines of this corny sentence: "If there's one thing that I want you to get out of this...", ...this story...my blog...my chapters, is that you try to teach someone else something beneficial.

A good friend once shared that as a teacher, sharing knowledge is like lighting a candle, and as you light up many candles, you light up the dark. Who knows, maybe that candle lights up another candle and so on and forth, and it becomes increasingly less dark.
 
Anyhow, I end this post with a Hadith or Saying of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him). Reported by Muslim, Tirmidhi, Abu Dawud, Nasa'I and Ibn Majah: 

The Messenger of God (pbuh) said: Whence a child of Adam dies, his/her deed comes to an end except for three things: an ongoing sadaqah, knowledge that benefits (others), and a righteous child who prays for him/her.

Have a good weekend, everyone, and eat well during Eid.


Peace,
Umar

2 comments:

حسنه said...

Assalammu'alaikum akhi,

May I know what your research topic is? I'm currently doing a research as well and I'd like to collect poverty-related studies in Brunei as my reference. If you could lead me to other poverty-related studies, it would contribute a lot to my research, inshaAllah, that is if you're willing to share. If not, I'll understand too. Thank you.

Umar A. said...

Waalaikumsalam,

My research topic relates to zakat, awqaf & personal finance. In terms of poverty-related studies & Brunei, my resources are largely from master theses & a PhD from a fellow Bruneian. Unfortunately, I can't provide them to you directly, as I don't have their permission or do not have their softcopy. However, if you would like to know the name of the thesis/ authors etc., I can provide them to you. Perhaps you could find them in the libraries in Brunei or directly inquire the authors etc.

If so, please provide me an email or you could email me at Umar.Afa@gmail.com. All the best w/ your research, which I presume relates to poverty &/or Islamic finance?