Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Why?

Assalamualaikum (Peace be upon you),

As Muslims, a Hadith teaches us...
"Whoever of you sees an evil action, let him change it with his hand; and if he is not able to do so, then with his tongue and if he is not able to do so, then with his heart, and that is the weakest of faith."
 So that's why I am highlighting this issue of the Rohingyas in Myanmar. Although I heard about the refugees boats being turned away in Thailand a few years back, I didn't pay much attention to the Rohingyas. In the friday prayer here (in the UK) last week, the Imam did mention on the current under-reported issue briefly, to pray for their well-being. Only today, when I saw a link in a friend's facebook, that I only realized the extent of the issue.

I decided to read more, using news articles online but found, as of late, and in my opinion, that BBC and CNN under-reporting this issue compared to other relatively less-known news or media groups. For some reason, this appears to be less news-worthy, disappointingly.

I don't know why though but some speculations are related to economic/ financial gains. Anyway, I won't speculate here, but one can read up news articles online and get your own objective opinion. Here, my intention is that if someone reads up on this, and if someone can somehow make things better, please help with your hands, if not spread the news like the Imam did, and if unable to, then pray for them. It doesn't matter if they are Muslims or non-Muslims. What truly matters is that no human being should be subjected to such sense of abandonment.

Please pray/ hope and act, where you can.

Peace,
Umar

No comments: