Monday, August 22, 2011

Long Walk To Discovery

Salam (Peace Be Upon You),

I'm in the midst of reading Nelson Mandela's book 'Long Walk To Freedom'. Hence, the shamelessly, lame title of this particular post. It's been a while since my last post. Things have changed, as is life. It's probably time this blog has too, as I write more about research.

Since pursuing a PhD and going through an academic researcher route, or at least training to be one, I can't help think about my research. It consumes my days, both working and weekends. I'm not saying I work hard, for thinking about things is different from doing it. Especially when it comes to the fieldwork, I worry about the getting the interviews done, hoping my research assistants do not quit and other details, which other researchers may consider as well.

On a personal level, since my research relates to poverty, I have been thinking more about the lives of those who are poor. I know we are different, yet similar. Their houses may look shabby and derelict, but our intentions are the same. Do we not all wish to live in a nice house and live happily? Our current situations may differ due to birth (i.e. being born poor or non-poor) or due to one's own circumstances (e.g. too much debt, bad luck etc.), but our future situations are the same. For we will die one day, in the same earth or layer of soil. No one grave essentially different from the next.

At times, it feels tiring to do this research. Obviously, as in some other forms of research, the rejection rate can be high. Although I've worked in customer service before and developed a bit of a thick skin, it can bring you down sometimes. But such is life, the wheel that turns around. I have faith in such things. For if ever there was something to bring one down, it should be for doing a good cause. Few probably so, than trying to help reduce poverty, even if it is from a research or academic point of view. There's this Hadith or saying of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) which goes along the lines of:
"When any one of you sees anything that is disapproved (of by Allah), let him change it with his hand. If he is not able to do so, then let him change it with his tongue. And if he is not able to do so, then let him change it with his heart, though that is the weakest (kind of) faith."
In this context, isn't poverty an evil or a thing disapproved? Even if attempting to mitigate poverty is difficult to achieve, it should be worth it. Nothing good ever came easy. And along the way, who knows. We may confront our own biases, refine our thoughts or maybe inspire someone to do at least one good thing. 

More importantly than inspiring or trying to change others, is the need to realise that our actions should be more of a discovery of ourselves, the changes of our line of thought, our perception of others & the short, worldly life that we live in. Hence, the corny title of a 'long walk to discovery'.

Take care all. 

Sincerely,
Umar

No comments: