Saturday, April 2, 2011

Money: To Leave or Not To Leave


Assalamualaikum (Peace Be Upon You),

Over the past year, it's twice that I've heard a fellow Muslim say, (paraphrasing here), that it is better to leave one's children without any money & based that opinion on the past such as a Companion of the Prophet (pbuh)'s practice or opinion.

Although I'm not an expert in historical practices of Islam, I do understand some law of inheritance (or what's commonly known as
Faraid). I understand that, in the Qur'an, there are some verses that highlights the law of inheritance, such as in Chapter 4, verse 11.

Allah (thus) directs you as regards your Children's (Inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females: if only daughters, two or more, their share is two-thirds of the inheritance; if only one, her share is a half. For parents, a sixth share of the inheritance to each, if the deceased left children; if no children, and the parents are the (only) heirs, the mother has a third; if the deceased left brothers (or sisters) the mother has a sixth. (The distribution in all cases ('s) after the payment of legacies and debts. Ye know not whether your parents or your children are nearest to you in benefit. These are settled portions ordained by Allah; and Allah is All-knowing, All-wise. (4: 11)

Based on verses such as these, the logical conclusion is that, it can't be right that Muslims should not leave their children any money. If Allah did not want Muslims to leave their children any money, this verse and others such as these would not be revealed. Its mere revelation indicates, in my opinion, that it's ok to leave money for your offspring.

A Hadith or saying of the Prophet (pbuh), which contributes to the law of inheritance also contributes to this logical conclusion. Reported by Bukhari, the Hadith states:


Narrated Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas:
I was stricken by an ailment that led me to the verge of death. The Prophet came to pay me a visit. I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have much property and no heir except my single daughter. Shall I give two-thirds of my property in charity?" He said, "No." I said, "Half of it?" He said, "No." I said, "One-third of it?" He said, "You may do so though one-third is also too much, for it is better for you to leave your off-spring wealthy than to leave them poor, asking others for help…"

As I write this, I hope the comment made by the person I mentioned earlier is not shared by the majority in the Muslim world because there is, unfortunately, a substantial level of poverty in Muslim countries, for one reason or another.

If I am wrong on this subject, please correct me. Just sharing what I know.

Peace,
Umar