Friday, March 28, 2008

Back to Basics - Islamic Management

It's good to be back, blog-wise. After a relatively hectic & challenging month, I feel it's time to get back to basics.

It's been a while since I polished up on my Islamic management readings. It's been a great source of encouragement & inspiration for me in the past. This week, I've occasionally gone back to one of my favorite Hadith or Sayings from Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon Him) which have helped me in thick & thin, which is:
Actions are but [judged] by intention and every man shall have but that which he intended. Thus he whose migration was for Allah and His Messenger, his migration was for Allah and his Messenger, and he whose migration was to achieve some world benefit or to take some woman in marriage, his migration was for that for which he migrated.
At times, I feel that sometimes we lack clarifying our intention or asking ourselves whether our intention are sincere & unselfish. In Islam, our actions has to be aligned with the intention of getting 'points', i.e. doing good in line with the Qur'an & Hadith.

The Hadith above is truly powerful if we take the time to appreciate it. If we are sincere in the action, if we believe in the good that the outcome will bring even if the action is unpopular in some quarters, our action will be guided by this powerful intention.

In our jobs, our actions should be driven by our noble intention which should be to improve the organization's profitability and performance, no matter how difficult the action is. For Bruneians, our actions should be for the progress of Brunei no matter where we work, either private or public, this department or that, this team or that...it is the overriding intention that we set ourselves that truly pushes the development of our country, our organization and our own self being.

So the next time, you're unsure of undertaking any action. Take time out to analyze your intentions. If in doubt, leave it.

My thoughts. Till next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.